(adapted from an email from Professor Hazel Hall)
Edinburgh Napier University is keen to receive applications from Computer Science or Software Engineering Bachelors or Masters graduates (or final year/Masters students due to graduate) with (or on target for) a first class or 2.1 degree, and who have some experience of studying Artificial Intelligence, Natural Language Processing, or Machine Learning (e.g. as part of a module, or in a project).
The successful applicant will join as a 3-year student, or as a 1+3 student:
- A 3-year PhD student will spend the whole period of the studentship with us at Edinburgh Napier University. To qualify for the 3 year award, the student should already hold a Masters qualification that includes 60 credits of research methods training.
- A 1+3 student will take the Masters degree in Science, Technology and Innovation Studies at the University of Edinburgh in year 1, and then follow this with the three year doctoral study with us here at Edinburgh Napier University. The +1 year is also fully funded with all fees paid, plus a stipend. If we appoint one of our current Edinburgh Napier undergraduate students to this studentship, he/she will take the 1+3 route to PhD. (We will make the arrangements for admission to the University of Edinburgh, as per the processes that we have followed for the three 1+3 students already recruited to this doctoral programme.)
Key dates of the application process are:
- Thursday 30th April midday: deadline for submission of applications – NB submissions must be made through SGSSS’ GradHub system (https://gradhub.sgsss.ac.uk/students/login)
- Thursday 7th May pm: interviews
- Thursday 1st October: studentship starts
There are further details of the studentship and how to make an application at:
- In the full advert on the SGSSS web site at https://www.sgsss.ac.uk/studentship/natural-language-interfaces/
- In the blog post at https://hazelhall.org/2020/02/04/fully-funded-phd-studentship-opportunity-natural-language-interfaces-to-support-career-decision-making-of-young-people