2014_02_09

So I’ve given up on the polygons for now. In fact, I’ve received some advice in response to an online plea for LatLong shape files for Scottish LAs but I won’t be able to look into this until Tuesday afternoon.

So today on with the show of drawing a map with markers for all CCs for which I have LatLong data. This should have been easy – I’d had something very like this working for 2 CCs already, with different coloured markers for whether the CC had both website and email address, just an email address, no electronic contact details or no actual functionality.

I started by knocking up some css and a disclaimer/copyright page and some custom markers for functional and non-functional CCs – easy, if not the prettiest thing ever. Then I followed the recipe for displaying a couple of LAs’ CCs (without differentiating between functional and non-functional), with the markers for each LA coalescing when zooming out from the map.

All fine, until I noticed the numbers in the coalescences were not correct – there should have been 19 CCs in Aberdeen and 71 in Aberdeenshire, but while Aberdeen was correct, Aberdeenshire had 90 CCs, so the markers for Aberdeen were presumable adding to the Aberdeenshire set.

I then added in Angus CCs, and got even more confusing numbers. I battled with this for several hours, even stripping the code right down to for each CC in the whole dataset, document.write(“rude word”); No joy.

So this is where my personal life affects my work life – I went to my regular sunday evening spin class. I started again about 8:30 and within 30 minutes, I had it properly working numbers for 3 CCs. 29 fairly tedious additions to a case statement and checks that the right numbers appeared, all 32 LAs’ CCs were appearing correctly.

A quick hack to one LA got me green marked for functional CCs and red marked for non-functional ones, with each LAs’ own CCs coalescing into one lump no matter what colour they were.

Then half an hour’s web-trawling got each LA’s CCs’ markers displaying popups linking to the relevant LA web pages. Job done!

So entry to the page draws a map of Scotland, with all CCs for which we have LatLong data coalesced into lumps that show the number of CCs in each coalescence. Zooming in, or clicking on a coalescence de-coalescesces so that markers for individual CCs display. A marker is green if the CC is functional and red if it isn’t. Each marker has a popup with the name of the CC and a link to the relevant LA’s webpages about its CCs. Entering a postcode or address in the search box zooms to that place, so you can see the CCs around it. (You may need to zoom out a little.) We will draw a discrete veil over the question of how good the LatLong data I’m currently working with is – not my problem!

Still to do

  • display LA boundaries
  • get the search box to drop a marker
  • optionally, calculate the distance to the nearest CC
  • optionally, calculate the distance to the nearest functional CC
  • be able to switch on and off each LA’s markers, using leaflet.js’s layers functionality
  • optionally, to calculate distances to the nearest (functional) CC in an LA if only one is switched one
  • write a hacker-guide
  • style links in <h1>s

Getting there!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s